My guest is Chrystal from L.A.. She is just one of many positive diabetics making a huge difference in the diabetes community. She is a chemist, and diabetic activist. After Chrystal's diagnosis of type 2 diabetes in November 2007, she created SexyDiabetic.com; and donates a good portion of her time connecting and sharing experiences, both inside and outside the online diabetic communities.
Chrystal has shared with us her personal experiences living with diabetes; her role in the diabetic community; some of her current diabetic project she's working on during black history month.
We talked about some of the struggles we we face, getting the African American communities and all other people of color educated on the dangers of diabetes; as well as the fears and discrimination that still exist for diabetics today.
Click here to listen with your default media player
For 2012 I thought it would be wonderful to start the year off with a positive interview!
My guest is Richard A Vaughn. He has written an awesome book called "Beating The Odds - 64 years of Diabetes Health". In this book, he takes us on a journey through his diabetic life.
From the moment he was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 6, all the way up through completing his masters degree, @ a time when people thought diabetics shouldn't go to college (because diabetes was considered a disability then).
Richard also talks about his wonderful family and grand children, in addition to participating in the Joslin Medalist Study, funded by the JDRF & National Institute of health..
Richard is definitely an inspiration to us all. He has showed us insulin dependent people, how to live healthy emotionally & physically by example, with either no, or the least amount of complications possible; coming from a time when life expectancy for a diabetic was no later than 40 years old.
You can purchase Richard's book by clicking on the graphic of his book below.
- Yogirajj : Hi Eduard!! Welcome to my blog!! My apologies for the late reply. Yes, there are a lot of us. I really think wer'e more than 5% the statistics claim. I think were more like 10-15 percent, if we include people with LADA I'm so happy you've found me, enjoy my site!!
- eduardvlog : Hi! Ive had diabetets for 10 years now, and its kinda creepy to think of it, because im only in highschool now! In my primary school I was the only diabetic there, but now that im in highschool, we’re a lot more diabetics and were 6 in only one grade. All of us are type 1 and one of our teachers are also a diabetic!! Ive had tough times, but im still strong… i think. Its great that ive found this website so that i can talk to u guys!!
- Yogirajj : Thank you Binky. I need to make time for more interviews. Maybe this will be one of my resolutions this year!
- mistressbinky : You're a wonderful interviewer, with endless topics.
- Yogirajj : Since my website has been indexed by some popular search engines, I've noticed lately my Chat box has been hit with some spam. If I see too much spam come through, I will change my blog's configurations to only allow registered members to send messages. Thank you for your patience.
- Yogirajj : I hate updates.. Sorry guys, i'll fix the pages as soon as I can.
- Yogirajj : Salutations Kevin!! Hope all is well. Thank you so much for your kind words! It means a lot to me. I really enjoy the work I'm doing on my site, and look forward to sharing even more diabetic info.
- Kirla : Hello You added me as a friend on Diabetic Connect. I looked over your site and found you did an excellent job. I added your site to my blog roll on my site. I think your doing an excellent job here. It may take years to research everything here. Thanks Kevin
- Yogirajj : Hello learnmathngen!! Welcome to my blog!! Hope all is well.
- Yogirajj : Hi Bill !! Thank you so much for your kind words. Did your wife have the baby yet? Sorry buddy, but I won't be able to go to the JDRF Leadership conference .
- superlearnmathngen : hello guys I just want to say hi
- 1HappyDiabetic : Take Care as always
- 1HappyDiabetic : What's up my man? The site looks great! Love your vids!
- 1HappyDiabetic : What'
- Yogirajj : Welcome. No, I do not work @ York College
- Guest_2017 : Do you work at York College?
- Yogirajj : Hello, and welcome!!
- diabeticdee : hello anyone?
- Yogirajj : Hello my friend!! Welcome to my humble blog!
- superlearnmathngen : hello guys I just want to say hi
- Yogirajj : Thank YOU my friend, & welcome to my blog... I will continue to work hard to bring quality information.
- ccr_737 : Thank you for your info . we share the same point of views
- Yogirajj : I would like to thank all my visitors and members for their patience, as I have upgraded my blog's software system. I have discovered that Windows Explorer does not work properly with my earlier set up. Therefore I have decided to make some changes. Slowly but surely, my blog will be full functional in no time.. Thanks for your understanding...
- Yogirajj : Salutations from NYC!! Thank you for your kind words and support. I hope your surgery goes well..
- Guest_1091 : I live in England, am diabetic and have recently discovered i have cataracts. Im currently waiting for surgery. This site is great and so informative. I dont know how you coped with your eyesight before the op. Luckily mine isnt too bad, but it still gets me down somedays. So glad your op was successful and your sight had been restored. Best Wishes to you in the future and i shall continue to follow this site. Heather (Crewe, England)
- Yogirajj : Hi everybody! Welcome to DiabeticRadio. Try out the new chat feature of my blog. I hope you find this site resourceful and informative. Don't forget to tell your friends about diabeticradio.
- African Americans & Diabetes (2)
- Alternative Foods (2)
- Around The World (14)
- Celebrities (14)
- Dangerous Diabetes Moments (1)
- Diabetes (39)
- Diabetes & Women (1)
- Diabetes Comedy (2)
- Diabetes Myths (2)
- Event's 2012 (5)
- Events: 2010 (3)
- Events: 2011 (2)
- Events: 2013 (2)
- Exercise (1)
- Food (6)
- Glucose (1)
- Honoring Us ! (3)
- Juicing (1)
- Medications (5)
- My 1HappyDiabetic Videos (1)
- Other Health (15)
- Podcast / Youtube (79)
- Product Review (4)
- T1 African Americans (22)
- Technology / Androids (1)
- Watch a Video (56)
- Your Kidneys (2)
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- Red Meat Linked to Increased Diabetes Risk June 18, 2013
- Skipping Breakfast May Raise Diabetes Risk June 17, 2013
- Short Strolls After Meals May Lower Diabetes Risk June 12, 2013
- Low Blood Sugar May Raise Dementia Risk in Diabetics: Study June 11, 2013
- Even Mild Weight Loss May Lower Diabetes Risk in Obese Teens June 10, 2013
- FDA Mulls Lifting Tight Safety Limits on Diabetes Drug Avandia June 6, 2013
- Stem Cell Therapy Cures Type 1 Diabetes in Mice June 6, 2013
- Diabetic Neuropathy Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ June 3, 2013
- Health Tip: Finding Fungal Infections June 3, 2013
- Health Tip: Help Kids With Diabetes Deal With Shots May 30, 2013
- Cornea Research Reveals Unseen Layer June 17, 2013
- Health Tip: Protect Kids' Eyes June 14, 2013
- Corneal Disease May 31, 2013
- Health Tip: Eat Right for Healthier Sight May 28, 2013
- Glucosamine Supplements Tied to Risk of Eye Condition May 24, 2013
- Health Tip: Protect Your Sight May 22, 2013
- Heterochromia Iridis May 21, 2013
- Health Tip: Possible Causes of Dry Eye May 21, 2013
- Ophthalmologista and Optometrists: Similarities and Differences May 20, 2013
- Outdoor Recess May Help Protect Kids From Nearsightedness May 6, 2013
- Volunteering May Be Good for the Heart in More Ways Than One June 14, 2013
- Portal Hypertension June 10, 2013
- Low Blood Pressure May 23, 2013
- People With High Blood Pressure May Crave Salt May 16, 2013
- Cellphone Calls During Blood Pressure Readings May Skew Results May 16, 2013
- Yoga May Help Ease High Blood Pressure, Study Finds May 16, 2013
- Exercise, Alternative Therapies May Help Lower Blood Pressure April 23, 2013
- Health Tip: Lower Your Blood Pressure April 22, 2013
- Nearly 30 Percent of Americans Have High Blood Pressure: CDC April 5, 2013
- hydrochlorothiazide, (Hydrodiuril, Ezide, Hydro-Par [discontinued]), Microzide, and many others March 27, 2013
Today’s Drum / Type 1
“Today’s Drum”, is an all African American website, that has resources and news on various subjects, that effect people of color. Although it appears not to have been updated for about 2 months, it still has a lot of important and useful information. Here’s a great article from their site, that talks about the best ways to handle type 1 diabetes concerning your children. It also discusses common warning signs for African Americans, & the best way to explain type 1 diabetes to your very young children.